Sunday, April 2, 2017

Next Step Virtual Reality Libraries?...

In the past few years interactive gaming, multi-user virtual environment or virtual reality, have been creating the biggest buzz around the gaming community. Most people have seen the funny videos of first time VR players experiencing a roller coaster ride. My own personal experience with virtual reality gaming was after purchasing Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, you get a free VR headset with each purchase of the cell. Because it was free I gave it a go and I was honestly shocked at how well it could trick a mind into believing it. 
From the already installed games I played around with it a bit and my first game was floating through space and learning about constellations, galaxies, dwarf stars, and much more. The imagery really does trick the mind into believing that everything is real. After a while I had to take it off because I was so dizzy. It blow my mind that this was only the beginning of the virtual reality gaming experience and that in later years it will evolve into something bigger. 
In my own opinion, I can see this being a great tool to educate people. This could be integrated into many educational programs in the library, with helping children learn about different historical events or even having a VR game of the Oregon Trail. Children's story books could be transformed into virtual reality story telling, with children going through a choose your own adventure type VR game. 
There are definitely ways to incorporate MUVE into the library and I will be very interested to see what type of path libraries choose to integrate this technology.  

No comments:

Post a Comment